Tuesday 25 June 2024

Here come the Hawks

 


The moths have been slow to come this year, a matter of widespread comment on blogs and fora devoted to the subject. The simplest explanation is that Summer has taken its time as well. In my case, the numbers have been down but the variety has largely held up. One exception has been those masters of the moth universe, the mighty hawk moths.


The Poplar, above, came later than usual and has had the eggboxes to itself in hawk moth terms right up until the second week in June. then a solitary Eyed Hawk arrived, timing its debut nicely with a weekend stay by a small great-niece. She has duly been infected with the moth enthusiasm which is such a happy feature of P and my grandchildren.


Then along came the magnificent Privet in my top picture, the UK's third largest resident moth after the Convolvulus and Death's Head, with its showily-striped body which I've managed for once to capture in the picture. Hawks are very sleepy during my morning inspections and it was easy to persuade this one to inspect the charms of a Love-in-the-Mist.


Finally, so far, a pair of lovely Elephant Hawks were in the trap this morning, along with the best selection of moths of the year so far. And in good numbers too.  Things are looking up.

The Pine Hawk should arrive in the next week or two and with probably the Lime Hawk and Small Elephant. I will be unlucky not to see a Hummingbird Hawk in August, zipping about our flowerbeds and nectaring during the daylight when the sun shines, and I live in hope of a return of the Broad-bordered Bee Hawk which paid me one memorable visit.  My granddaughter is meanwhile confident that the lovely green Oleander Hawk will visit my trap - and now of course her own - one day. 

The Poplar Hawk in its more familiar pose, trying to frighten me by flashing its underwings

No comments: