Monday 6 May 2024

Moths of a feather

I have just had an interesting experience of moth distribution and how it differs even within the modest frame of our garden. I put the lamp in a shady corner beneath a hornbeam grown in the fastigiate way which resembles an exploding firework, among bluebells, forget-me-not, cow parsley (or Queen Anne's Lace in the more attractive American version) and the like. Here's the first moth I saw in the morning:


It's a beautifully fresh Green Carpet, a species whose colour fades rapidly as I remarked the other day. Now, here are the second, third and fourthmoths I found in the eggboxes:


And here below are the next ten. Clearly the conditions are ideal for this species which otherwise comes in ones or twos when the trap is in its usual position out on the lawn. This pictures of our wisteria show the dramatic effect of positioning: the top one shows the part of the plant which faces South East, the bottom one the section facing North West.



The following morning, I had a different lesson which bears out a point which I have often made about the effectiveness of deterrent camouflage. Much the biggest moth in the trap was this recently-hatched Poplar Hawk which I carefully put on a chair beside the garden table where I was sorting the moths:


I was checking out the next two eggboxes when something caught my eye from the direction of the hawk. I looked and saw its wing position changed to reveal the warning glow of red on the hindwings which the moth flashes when alarmed. Here it is:


And here's the reason. The impudent robin which I've often cursed on this blog had swooped in to take a close look. Whether I was sufficiently distracted for it to have grabbed and made off with the moth, I cannot say, but the deterrent certainly seemed to work nand prevented that. 


Other nice arrivals in the last toe, blessedly dry and quite mild evenings include this Pebble Prominent like the one which visited my granddaughter's trap last week:



There were also a Least Black Arches, a Dotted Pug, a worn Nut-tree Tussock and a Silver Y, probably one which has over-wintered, a newish phenomenon thanks to milder weather.






Next, a daylight moth; while tidying up the allotment, I disturbed this Phtheochroa rugosana micro, a very odd-looking creature whose version of dazzle camouflage - the other main form of this defence along with deterrent - unfailing mucks up the camera's focus. Its name is also a real challenge to say.


And here are some indoor moths we ound this week - a good occupation when the rain comes and one at which P is especially good. There was a Muslin moth slumbering on the dining room windowsill when we were having breakfast and this beautifully delicate Small Dusty Wave on an internal glass door which allowed photography of both its top wings and underside.




Away from the moths, my butterfly sightings are gradually increasing and I managed to get reasonable photos of this Peacock and Holly Blue who were enjoying the sunshine yesterday.  The latter almost never spreads its azure blue topwings but the powdery colour of the underside is very appealing too.



Orange Tips were out in plenty too but they are incredibly restless. Here's the best I've managed so far, of a male trying in vain to get at the pollen on a big shaggy Iris and a female - no orange - enjoying the local farmer's Spring crop. 



Lastly among today's minibeasts, here is a handsomely shiny Cardinal Beetle found by the grandchildren and to round off the blog, some pics of our lovely swans who have just produced four cygnets in the reedbeds where I normally go to cut new treehouse thatch.  I'm more than happy to pause operations and enjoy these wonderful birds. 




No comments: