Wednesday 2 June 2021

Beady eyes

 

In all my years of trapping, I have never got tired of the Spectacled Moth and here it is again with its false eyes so beguiling positioned above its scarcely visible real ones. Coupled with its little crest, they make it a memorable sight in the moth trap and I am delighted to welcome my first of this slow and largely unexciting year.


Everything is late and the Poplar is my only hawk moth so far, compared with previous years when, as I mentioned the other day, almost all my regulars had paid a call by the end of May.  Still, there's plenty of time and the weather has only just started to warm up properly. Patience, patience...




As you can see from the pictures above, the Poplar is at least arriving in good numbers and most of them are in a beautifully pristine condition. The number of other moths is increasing two. Here are some other recent arrivals, below:

Both main forms of the Treble Lines

A Sallow Kitten

From left to right, top row: Marbled Minor species, Common Carpet,  Marbled Coronet. Bottom row: Brindled Beauty, Swallow Prominent and my first Maybug (Cockchafer) of 2021

And finally, a couple of Rustic Shoulder-knots

No comments: