Friday 26 March 2021

Teatime


Although my new mercury vapour bulb shines brightly and sturdily, trapping is still a little intermittent at the moment because of unpredictable weather. I am pleased to report the arrival of a perennial favourite however, the Early Grey, which inevitably reminds me of tea. It came on the same night as a bevy of Hebrew Characters; here are two in contrasting colourways, below.



I also found this little caterpillar on the garden table while cutting reeds from the canal to renew the thatch on the grandchildren's treehouse. It's sadly undistinguished and may be a juvenile - the black thing is a felt tip pen, the nearest object I could grab for scale.  If any passer-by has caterpillar expertise, I'd be very grateful for an ID.

2 comments:

Edward Evans said...

Not sure about the caterpillar, the foodplant on Northumberland Moth groups website will help, or the back of the caterpillar guide book. I don't know if you read it, but I happened to stumble across an excellent moth group, Herefordshire and Worcestershire moths.

All the best

Edward

Martin Wainwright said...

Hi and belated thanks for this - I've not been trapping for quite a while because of the weather. Hope all continues well with you. Thanks very much for the county moths group sites too. All vb as ever, M