Monday 6 April 2020

Warm night, guest list growing


I have often lamented the fact that we humans don't sport antennae, which are perhaps the one advantage given to moths and other insects, but not to us. Maybe not everyone would want a giant pair of extra eyebrows, like the ones on this morning's Brindled Beauty; but I find them handsome as well as very useful for the jobs of direction-finding, scent and other skills which they give to their owners.


Here's the entire moth; a male, as are most moth-owners of large or complex antennae. This has much to do with detecting pheromones given off by the females of the species, I think, a process shown most spectacularly by the Emperor moth, as I have found during several breeding seasons here after a female bequeathed me her eggs in, appropriately, one of the trap's eggboxes. 


The trap's other residents were the most diverse of the year so far, after what I think was the warmest night of 2020, with rain only coming at dawn and seen off by the Robinson trap's super-simple but very effective rainshield.  Above is the star, so far as I am concerned: a Streamer with its delicate mauve background colouring. It rather tones with the rug which my Brindled Beauty was exploring, don't you think?


Then we have the angular March Moth, above, coming a little later than the eponymous month, followed by the pretty little micro Acleris literana, a somewhat battered Nut-tree Tussock and a second micro plus a pug which I'm hoping the ever-wonderful experts on the Upper Thames Moths blog will ID for me in due course.

Update: Dave Wilton duly and kindly says that the first is Epiphyas postvittana or the Light Brown Apple moth, a regular caller, and - with allowances for my haywire photography when moths perch on the trap's black bowl and are too jittery to move to more helpful backgrounds - that the pug looks like Double-striped, which would fit at this time of the year.  Thanks as ever.





2 comments:

Conehead54 said...

Good to see your posts again & a productive haul.

Martin Wainwright said...

Hi there and many apols for the delay. The system sometimes makes it hard for me to comment but it seems to be co-operating today Great to hear from you and good luck for the season. At least we have plenty of time for the moths at the mo, but I hope it's all over before too long. Hope that you and yours are keeping safe and well. All warmest Martin