Tuesday 24 March 2020

Butterfly sun

It was as warm as summertime yesterday afternoon, which is a major consolation for the troubled times we're living through. The butterflies duly responded; after Sunday's first sighting of a couple of Brimstones in the Chilterns, we had our debut of that lovely species here. Powerful flyers, Brimstones seldom settle for long and so my pictures are blurry and snatched. But a lovely sight nonetheless.



A peacock was also swooping about, exercising its wings after hibernation. My series of pictures was taken as I crept up on it in the vegetable garden, which is being weeded and tilled as seldom before. But I couldn't get close enough for a big, crisp shot. I think the insect's eyes sense movement and shadow with great sensitivity.



Nights are contrasting chilly with the largely clear skies and we have had quite heavy frosts since Friday. The moth trap therefore remains indoors, as we now have to rather too much of the time.

No comments: