Thursday 9 August 2018

Popular Poplars and another newcomer

The grandchildren have gone home but the hawk moths are very much still here. There were seven Poplar Hawks in the eggboxes this morning and they obligingly posed together - though the one on my palm ws whirring up for take-off which happened a few seconds later.  I thought that I had successfully hidden the others in shrubs but while writing this, I felt a major flutter around my ankles. It was one which hadn't got away. So I popped it out of the window.


I'm not particularly into encouraging moths as 'pets' though the discovery of Nature's wonders is significant for a child. But Poplar Hawks are actually exceptionally amenable. Here is my granddaughter's elaborate home for one which stayed in her bedroom all weekend, before I released it after she had left. It has a lair in the loopaper tube, flowers both real (in a jar out of shot) and painted, jewels (which the granddaughter feels have great appeal to any mysterious creature of the night), some pocket money and various other rather strange facilities.


My first hawkmoth 0f 2018, also a Poplar, came on the night of May 6/7, so they are having a wonderful season, certainly with two broods and perhaps more. I've had all the regulars from the family as well except the Hummingbird Hawk.


Among other recent arrivals, I've had a Heart and Club, above, and a Whitepoint,  Brimstone, Ruby Tiger and Dot Moth below:





It was also good to have a Shuttle-shaped Dart which was prepared to show a different wing position from the usual tight furl, as in the second of these two pictures:



And finally, I was very pleased to have my second new moth in a week, a common species like the Tawny-barred Angle which came on the night of August 2/3, but one which had not yet paid a call here.  It's a rather faded Dark Spinach, an ID kindly given to me by Adam Bassett on the unfailingly helpful Upper Thames Moths blog.  Update: sorry, I forgot to add its photograph. Age...  Here it is along with a corner of my vivid pyjamas:




No comments: