Wednesday 28 December 2011

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to one and all, moths included


Hiya! Hope you've had a lovely Christmas and that fun is continuing through Christmas week; and all warmest wishes for the New Year. We've had the mildest weather for 14 years and although the trap is mothballed, I'm tempted to bring it out again just to see if any wonders are around.


I'm encouraged in this notion by the nightly presence beneath our porch light of Winter Moths including this one, above and below (twice with flash and once without), which perched on the wall, neatly positioning itself over the grout. You can link back via the previous post to Interesting Facts about the Winter Moth (and interesting indeed they are). More soon, maybe...

...and actually here's a little more sooner than I expected (it's now 29 December, almost the year's end. I'm even dozier than usual during this combination of festive holiday and the off-season for moths; but last night I got the Moth Bible down from the shelves, dusted it down and checked the pictures. And I think this may be a November Moth. I will check with Charlie Fletcher as one of my very first New Year resolutions, after the weekend. But any wise comments from passing experts would be appreciates, as always.

3 comments:

Bennyboymothman said...

Happy New Year Martin! can't wait to get the year list started soon!

MartinWainwright said...

Hi Ben! Happy New Year to you too and I hope that you and yours had a lovely Christmas

Do you know if my moth is Autumn or Winter btw?

I can never sort them out...

all warmest wishes

Martin

Bennyboymothman said...

It is indeed a Winter Moth, Martin, sorry for late reply. First trapping of the year tonight, 3 species so far!